Callandoon, with the head station a few miles down- stream from Goondiwindi, was selected by Thomas DeLacy Moffatt in 1846 and became a well established holding. A Post Office was opened there and a pack horse mail service came from Drayton once a week. A Police Station and Jail was established and in 1859 Callandoon was appointed as a place to hold Courts of Petty Sessions.
However, by 1862 Callandoon had lost its importance and Goondiwindi had grown and had its own Jail and Police Station. There are many people buried in Callandoon Cemetery but only six marked graves, two with headstones, remain.