40 Flemming Street, Texas
The former Texas Police Station was erected in 1889 on a site close to the Durmaresq River. Following a major flood in April 1890 it was re- located to a new site on higher ground where a new township devel- oped.
The police station was designed as a multi-purpose building with court room, constable’s office, bedroom and two cells. Although it was not unusual for police buildings to incorporate this range of functions, it was atypical to include cells within the main building.
Alterations were undertaken in 1897 including an office on the south- ern end of the front verandah and fireplaces in the court room and constables room. A detached cell block was constructed later and the original cells converted into a kitchen. The front and rear verandahs were also enclosed.
Although the police station was one of the first buildings erected in the new Texas, by the 1930s it was located away for the centre of the town. By the 1950s the Commissioner of Police had recommended that the police station should be relocated closer the town’s business centre. Finally in 1972 a new police station was erected in High Street, next to the post office.
The police reserve, with the police station, was later transfetted to the Texas Historical Society.
This building is significant as a rare example of a 19th century multi- function police building incorporating office, court room, accommo- dation for constables and lock-up. It is also significant for its associa- tion with policing in the Texas district and as one of the first buildings erected in ‘new’ Texas following the 1890 flood.