39 McDougall Street, Goondiwindi
It is a place a community creates where everyone from all ages, stages, creeds and colours come together to grow fresh food, herbs, relax, inspire, learn and spend time with new or old friends.
The Goondiwindi and District Community Garden was founded in 2010 and was a project that came from a vision of enthusiastic, like-minded community members and volunteers, and was supported by various organisations within the Goondiwindi community.The Garden is run by a committee of volunteers, dedicated to the upkeep and running costs of the garden. This is sourced entirely by fundraising, memberships and annual rental of garden plots. The land was provided free-lease by the regional council and since inception has continued to thrive.The Goondiwindi and District Community Garden’s mission is to plant a garden to nurture friendships, to grow our community and to feed the mind, body and soul. “Plant together, grow together, thrive together” is our vision of inclusiveness.The benefits for Gundy are endless including:
* easy access to affordable fresh food
* a sense of achievement for growing your own food needs
* making friends
* having another place to relax or visit
* creating a lovely precinct to the gateway of our town
* an incentive for youth, children, unemployment, people with disabilities or misplaced to feel included and build self-esteem
* A local Economic Stimulus program through tourism and development
* Training opportunities in permaculture
* Loving the Planet!!:) through sustainability projects
The opportunities are endless..
* A sensory Garden filled with herbs, spices and textures
* A Zen Garden for peace with water features
* An Aboriginal Bush Tucker Garden
* Farmers Market
* Worm Farms, Green House, Dung Beetle Project, Propagation station, chooks.