High Street, Texas
This building comprises two sections. A timber building erected in 1908 as the Royal Bank of Queensland and a brick extension erected in 1934 for the National Bank of Australasia. This extension was designed by prominent Queensland architect Lange Powell.1
The Royal Bank of Queensland was established in 1885. By the early 1900s the bank had 12 branches throughout the state. The Texas branch was opened in 1908 in response to the development of district. The Royal Bank of Queensland merged with the Bank of North Queensland in 1917 to form the Bank of Queensland. The Bank of Queensland was subsequently taken over by the National Bank of Australasia in 1922.
The Texas National Bank is significant for its associations with banking in Texas since 1908 and for its aesthetic qualities and contribution to the High Street streetscape.